Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Why Blog?

Blogging is the new way to open the doors of communication between students and their classroom. It is a way to bring technology and communication together in a meaningful way. One way I plan to use this blog in my classroom is in the fall as we head back to school. Since I will have a new class of 30 6th graders I think they would enjoy getting to know one another through blogging about their summer. They can include text, pictures, and videos of something cool they did over summer.

A second way to use blogging in the classroom could correlate with our reading curriculum. At the beginning of the year I always have my students take an online survey about their reading history. It would be interesting to have them post blogs onto my website about their favorite book. They could search Borders.com or Barnes&Noble.com for text selections. These links I could include in my website. I would have requirements that need to be posted with each blog. For example each blog needs to have the title of the book, the author, a three sentence summary in their own words, and their favorite line from the book.

A third way to use this blog in the classroom is through social studies. A portion of our curriculum focuses on Latin America. I could post a series of videos from urban and rural towns of Latin America and have students watch a video and respond. Again I would require specific requirements for each post. Students would need to complete the 5 Ws on the video (who, what, when, where, why) and post their feelings about the various lifestyles in Latin America.

No comments:

Post a Comment